This is an approximately 20 minutes round trip. Meads Wall can be reached with a brief ten-minute stroll from the base of the Rangatira Chairlift at the Whakapapa ski field. This trail not only unveils a filming location from the Lord of the Rings movie but also presents opportunities for captivating rock climbing adventures.
A short yet enchanting journey through the Whakapapa ski field. With a manageable round-trip duration of approximately 20 minutes, this trail begins at the base of the Rangatira Chairlift, offering a swift and delightful walk.
What to take:
- Sturdy comfortable shoes or boots
- Water and wind-proof clothing
- Warm layers (wool or polypropylene)
- Food and plenty to drink
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- First aid kit
Know before you go:
- Remember that this trail is in an alpine environment which means that the weather can change rapidly. Make sure you are packed and dressed appropriately.
- Tell someone where you are going and when you plan on being home.
- Know your capabilities. Altitude, climbing and heat can make hikes that much more difficult. During winter, parking along SH48 in Whakapapa Village is limited to 3 hours. Parking is intended for visitors to access short walks, the visitor centre, toilets and local shops, restaurants and cafes.
- During winter, parking along SH48 in Whakapapa Village is limited to 3 hours. Parking is intended for visitors to access short walks, the visitor centre, toilets and local shops, restaurants and cafes.