A fully self-contained learners’ area and gentle slope is nice and long, allowing for plenty of time to really get the hang of turning and stopping, with easy to use carpet lifts.
A few things you need to know about Happy Valley:
- Happy Valley doesn't have a dedicated snow play area however any public areas that are not through the ski field gates can be played on.
- Sledding passes can be purchased from the Happy Valley Rentals Building for $20
- Sledding is for 1 hour
- Day passes does not include sledding
Planning your first trip to the snow
- Happy Valley is open from the 5th of June.
- During the winter facilities open from 9am - 4pm Monday - Sunday.
- You should prepare to spend the full day on the Mountain.
Situated in the centre of New Zealand's North Island and located on the north-west slopes of Mt Ruapehu, Happy Valley is easily accessible from all directions. By car, Happy Valley and Whakapapa ski field is accessed from Bruce Road, a 6km sealed road. Depending on your time of arrival will reflect how close to the ski field you will be able to park. If, due to weather conditions, chains are required please note there is no chain hire on the Bruce Road to Whakapapa, however, there are a number of shuttle services offering transport to the top of the Bruce Road every day.
- Boots or shoes with tread for all family members
- Sunscreen and lip balm
- Warm waterproof pants and jacket (rentals are available on the mountain)
- Warm hat, scarfs, gloves and waterproof gloves
Plenty of layers such as thermal underwear, polar fleeces, t‐shirts, skivvies, wool garments ‐ avoid cotton if possible. It might seem like a nice day when you first set off, conditions on the mountain can change quickly and it is best to be prepared. It is always recommended to leave what you may not use during the day at home, securely stored out of sight in your vehicle, or in one of the locker/bag check facilities located at the base area of Whakapapa.
What Lift Passes you Need
For information on Happy Valley please check mtruapehu.com
Your snow plans are heavily reliant on the weather, please make sure you check the snow report before embarking on your travels to avoid disappointment. Up-to-date weather reports can be found HERE